Another big German tradition for Oktoberfest is a Maypole dance! With just three simple steps, you can create this dance for many to enjoy during the celebration.
- Put the maypole together. To do this you will need a tall pole and strong ribbons. First, plant the pole in the desired spot. Second, attach the ribbons at the top of the pole. Make sure there are an even amount of ribbons for the number of dancers.
2. Divide the dancers in two groups. You can do this by “one, two, one, two,” or by “A, B, A, B.” A’s/1’s to go clockwise, and B’s/2’s to go counterclockwise.
3. Over, under, over, under.
- On the “over” count, the dancer raises his/her ribbon slightly so the dancer going in the opposite direction can duck under his/her ribbon.
- On the “under” count, the dancer ducks under the ribbon of the dancer going in the opposite direction.